Our business litigation attorneys have extensive experience representing clients in complex civil litigation and arbitration matters, including defense of class and representative actions (see Class and Representative Action Defense Practice Description), defense of unfair business practice cases, antitrust litigation, contract disputes, trade secret disputes, appeals, professional liability, and arbitration. Our lawyers’ work in this area of practice includes the following:
- Won an injunction against our client’s former employee in a theft-of-trade-secrets action, precipitating a favorable settlement.
- Prosecuted and successfully resolved a $100 million contract claim on behalf of a Spanish pharmaceutical company against a California supplier of blood plasma in an International Chamber of Commerce arbitration venue in London, governed by California and Dutch law, in which the principal arbitrator sat in Britain’s House of Lords.
- Won a permanent injunction against a trademark infringer and successfully moved to have infringer held in contempt of court for violating injunction. Henry Schein, Inc. v. Certified Business Supply, Inc., U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Case No. SACV03-1662 DOC.
- Won a multimillion-dollar settlement on behalf of the parent of a failed savings and loan association in an action against multiple federal regulators; due to its size, the settlement required the approval of the President of the United States and the Secretary of the Treasury.
- Obtained a highly favorable settlement in defense of antitrust and RICO action against major television studio, precipitated by summary judgment motion scheduled for hearing on day settlement was reached, which resulted in payment to studio in excess of $1 million.
- Represented a weight management company in AAA International Arbitration proceedings and in multiple injunction actions by franchisees throughout the United States and Canada alleging breaches of alleged rights to territorial exclusivity.
- Achieved multimillion-dollar settlement for claimants in an accountant malpractice action involving highly complex tax issues, without commencing litigation.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 company in a series of complex limited partnership disputes involving divestiture of hospital.
- As West Coast business litigation attorneys for Australia’s then-largest bank, litigated and advised the bank concerning securities and lender liability actions and other banking-related matters.
- Won early dismissal on the pleadings, without leave to amend, in Atlanta federal court of $3.5 million fraud and breach of warranty claim alleging sale of defective construction products.
- Won dismissal of multiple benzene work-place exposure actions in numerous states.
- In products liability action arising from nationally reported vehicular crash involving 16 fatalities in a single vehicle, won dismissal of alleged manufacturer of vehicle’s shock absorbers.
- Participated in coordinating national defense and trial strategy for Fortune 100 company in approximately 150 products liability asbestos-in-buildings cases involving tens of thousands of buildings located throughout United States, including virtually every public utility building, public school, public office building, bridge, and tunnel in the City of New York.
For further information, please contact David R. Scheidemantle at David@Scheidemantle-Law.com or (626) 660-4434.