- Karine Akopchikyan successfully reversed the Social Security Administration’s cessation of disability benefits of a low-income claimant. The disability analyst, who initially had issued a tentative decision denying benefits, and assigned doctor reviewing the claimant’s medical history were unaware of the unique side effects and health ramifications to patients who wear certain prosthetic devices. After several written statements, reports, and a hearing where the claimant and her daughter testified, the disability analyst reinstated the claimant’s disability benefits and status as a disabled individual.
- Karine Akopchikyan and members of the Pasadena Bar Association and the Young Leaders Society of Union Station Homeless Services volunteered for the Adopt-a-Meal dinner on March 28, 2018, where the volunteers prepared and served dinner to the residents of Union Station’s Adult Center.
- David Scheidemantle, board member and Nominating and Governance Chair of Los Angeles Master Chorale, attended the organization’s annual Gala on March 18, 2018, at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, where philanthropists Kiki and David Gindler and director Peter Sellars were honored.
- As former Board Chair of Los Angeles Children’s Chorus, David Scheidemantle attended the organization’s Former Board Member Luncheon on March 17, 2018, where former board members were offered a Master Class and discussed the future of the organization.
- On March 9, 2018, David Scheidemantle and pianist Cindy Lam performed for the Charlemagne Fine Wines tasting event, held at the Annandale Golf Club in Pasadena, California. The performance and wine tasting event were curated by Vintner Karl Adrian Curran of Charlemagne Fine Wines in Pasadena.
- On March 8, 2018, David Scheidemantle attended the Families Forward “Power of Two” fundraiser at Descanso Gardens. The event honored the contributions of Judith Brown, former President of the Board, in overseeing changes and growth to all facets of the organization, including its family-focused learning center in Pasadena.
- Joshua Pollack attended the ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar in Tucson, Arizona, from March 1-3. Josh is a long-time member of the Committee and currently serves as a co-editor of its website.
- Los Angeles Master Chorale hosted a salon for twenty guests at the home of Mary Blodgett and Carlton Calvin, where David Scheidemantle performed on the violin alongside fellow musicians Catherine Leech, Cheryl Scheidemantle, and Kiki & David Gindler Artistic Director Grant Gershon.
- Karine Akopchikyan acted as a presiding judge for the 2018 American Mock Trial Association’s Claremont Regional Mock Trial Tournament, where the undergraduate teams competed for a spot in the Opening Round Championships on February 25th.
- On February 15, David Scheidemantle and Karine Akopchikyan attended the Los Angeles Central City Association’s’ Technology Summit, sponsored by Stage Venture Partners.
- David Scheidemantle, by invitation of Chairman of the Board Chris Wadden, attended The Pasadena Angels Breakfast Evaluation Meeting on February 7, 2018.
- David Scheidemantle and Karine Akopchikyan have successfully concluded an insurance coverage dispute involving extensive property damage to a beautiful La Cañada residence. The insurer denied coverage, and the insureds retained Scheidemantle Law Group. We persuaded the insurer to reverse the denial, but the insurer continually undervalued the claim in a series of low ball offers. When it became evident that the assigned claims personnel would never properly value the claim, we wrote letters to the insurer’s Vice President of Insurance Claims and General Counsel, after which the insurer promptly paid the full amount of the claim, making the insureds completely whole.
- David Scheidemantle and Karine Akopchikyan attended the Growth Capital Conference LXVII on January 25, 2018, where they enjoyed discussions with venture capitalists, angel investors, firms seeking capital, and other advisors.
- David Scheidemantle spoke as a panelist at the Bridgeport 2018 Consumer Class Action Litigation Conference on January 19, 2018, on the topic, “An In-Depth Examination of Class Certification featuring a Close Look at Daubert Considerations.”
- David Scheidemantle, with colleagues Carla Ford and Franklin Roach, volunteered at the interviewing workshop held on January 11, 2018, by Scripps College at its third annual Emerging Professionals Program.
- David Scheidemantle was a featured performer, as a violinist, at the 18th Annual Rekindling the Light of Peace Ceremony, a collaboration of the Pasadena Human Relations Commission and the Pasadena MLK Community Coalition, at Pasadena City Hall on January 6, 2018.
- Karine Akopchikyan joined The Esquire Network.
- On December 1, 2017, David Scheidemantle was a featured speaker at the Harvard Club in New York City at the Litigation Counsel of America’s Renaissance Symposium. He spoke on the topic of innovative strategies in complex litigation matters.
- Since September 2017, Karine Akopchikyan has volunteered as an attorney proctor for the Pasadena Teen Court Program at Pasadena High School.
- In July 2017, David Scheidemantle became a Senior Fellow with Litigation Counsel of America.
- On July 1, 2017, David Scheidemantle began his second year as Chair of the Nominating and Governance Committee of Los Angeles Master Chorale, where he has sat on the Board of Directors since 2015.
- On June 30, 2017, David Scheidemantle completed a two-year term as Co-Chair of the Scripps Association of Families and Parent Leadership Council, which included service as a Trustee on the Scripps College Board, where he held positions on the Finance, Institutional Advancement, and Student Affairs Committees.
- In June 2017, David Scheidemantle was contracted to perform with conductor and pianist Grant Gershon and opera singer Catherine Leech at the Opera Meets Violin! salon event on February 24, 2018. Maestro Gershon is the Kiki and David Gindler Artistic Director of Los Angeles Master Chorale and will perform on a piano donated for the event by Pasadena Steinway Piano Galleries. The performance will take place at the home of Mary Blodgett and Carlton Calvin in San Marino, California.
- Joshua Pollack, Caroline Sayers, and David Scheidemantle won the denial of class certification in a putative class action, Runyon, et al. v. Bostik, Inc., et al., United States District Court for the Central District of California, Case No. 5:6-cv-2413. The denial by the district court took place in March 2017, and the United States Court of Appeals denied plaintiffs’ appeal petition in June 2017.
- In April 2017, David Scheidemantle served as a judge at the Bull Ring Competition: Semi-Final Event held by the David Nazarian College of Business and Economics of California State University, Northridge.
- Since March 2017, David Scheidemantle has been Chair of the Advisory Council of American Contemporary Ballet.
- In December 2016, David Scheidemantle was a recipient of the Peter Perlman Service Award, conferred by the Litigation Counsel of America at organization’s Renaissance Symposium at the Harvard Club in New York City, where he presented on the topic, “A Concert Artist’s Music Lessons for Trial Lawyers.”
- Karine Akopchikyan joined the firm as an associate in September 2016.
- In September 2016, David Scheidemantle joined Vistage, an executive coaching organization.
- In August 2016, Tiffany Chen earned her paralegal certificate with Honors from the University of San Diego.
- In March 2015, David Scheidemantle was admitted to practice law in the state of Wisconsin.
- Joshua J. Pollack joined the firm as a partner on November 1, 2014.
- Scheidemantle Law Group continues to administer the Scripps-Scheidemantle Internship for Rising First Years at Scripps College for Women and in 2015 will hire its third successive intern with the assistance of the two prior interns currently enrolled at Scripps.
- David Scheidemantle performed the Violin Sonata in A Major by César Franck at an event hosted by Suzuki Talent Education of Pasadena of the Suzuki Music Association of California. He was joined by pianist Cindy Lam and performed on a violin made in 1685 by Girolamo Amati.
- David Scheidemantle received the rating of AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell following its strenuous Peer Review Rating process.
- David Scheidemantle joined The Esquire Network.
- David Scheidemantle performed a violin recital on October 26, 2014, at the James Allen Freeman House, one of seven homes designated by the City of Pasadena as an Historic Monument, entitled “Five Violins, Five Centuries, Five Composers.” He performed on seven fine instruments, dating back to 1610, from the private collection of the Hans Weisshaar Violin Shop in Los Angeles. The event was reviewed by Laurie Niles of Violinist.com.
- David Scheidemantle was the 2014 recipient of the Rebecca Thompson Founder’s Award of Los Angeles Children’s Chorus, following his service as the organization’s Board Chair for three terms. Past LACC honorees have included Helen Bing, Anna Christy, Alice Coulombe, James Conlon, Ambassador John Emerson, Grant Gershon, Nestlé USA, Esa-Pekka Salonen, and Richard Sherman.