Direct: (626) 371-0336
General: (626) 638-1758
Fax: (626) 628-1950
- Georgia, 1984
- California, 1994
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 1984
- Boston University, BA, English Literature, cum laude, 1980
- Employment Law (Employers)
- Litigation & Trial
- Elder Care Compliance Consulting
- Philanthropist Award, Champions of Caring Connections, 2016
- Director’s Award, Executive Office of the United States Attorney, 2010
- Board Member, Being Alive!, 2012-present
- Board Development, Being Alive!, 2016-present
- Captain, Team Being Alive AIDS Walk L.A., Being Alive!, 2014-present
- Life Member, Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (BWL)
- Chair, Education Committee, BWL, 2015-present
- Member, Program Development Committee, BWL, 2015-16
- Co-Chair, BWL Foundation Scholarship & Awards Luncheon Committee, BWL, 2012
- Advisory Board Member, Champions of Caring Connections, 2016-present
Business and Professional Memberships
- All Cities Network
- Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Business Network International, Breakfast Club Chapter, Beverly Hills
- California Women Lawyers
- Fiduciary Round Table of San Gabriel Valley
- JNET, Westwood Chapter
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- The Esquire Network
- Women’s Leadership Council
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
Ms. Ford has successfully represented clients from pre-filing investigation through discovery, motion practice, and jury trial; and she has briefed and argued appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Highlights of her successful career as a trial lawyer include the following:
- Defense verdict as lead counsel in a jury trial on the plaintiff’s claims brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act against his former employer, the United States Postal Service, in which the plaintiff alleged that the agency terminated his employment in retaliation for engaging in protected EEO activity.
- Defense verdict as lead counsel in the jury trial of an action brought by plaintiff against her employer, the Internal Revenue Service, alleging sex discrimination, hostile work environment, and retaliation in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
- Defense verdict as co-counsel in the jury trial of an employment discrimination case brought by the plaintiff against her employer, the United States Navy, alleging sexual harassment and retaliation in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
- Settled sexual harassment case for a minimal amount in which plaintiff alleged that her male supervisor retaliated against her after she refused his advances.
- As lead counsel, won a jury award of $36.4 million, which included an unprecedented $28.8 million for intangible damages, for fire damage to federal forest lands in the first such case that the government took to trial. The Department of Justice recognized Ms. Ford for her work by presenting her with the Director’s Award for Superior Performance.
- Argued and won appeal of the employer’s declaratory judgment action alleging that Citizenship and Immigration Service’s denial of his immigrant employee’s adjustment application, from a B-2 nonimmigrant visitor to a H-1B “specialty occupation” worker, violated the Administrative Procedures Act. L.A. Closeout, Inc. v. Department of Homeland Security, 513 F.3d 940 (9th Cir. 2008).
- Obtained dismissal of five of the six claims on summary judgment that the plaintiff brought against the U.S. Customs Service under the Federal Tort Claims Act involving the agency’s decision not to renew a contract with the plaintiff and an unrelated criminal investigation. Won a defense verdict on the sole issue remaining for trial. The dismissal and the judgment were affirmed on appeal.
ELDER CARE COMPLIANCE CONSULTING
Ms. Ford has initiated a unique practice advising operators of residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFEs) and skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) on how to improve care and prevent negative outcomes, and yet preserve profitability, through use of effective compliance programs.
Ms. Ford acquired her compliance experience while she was a senior member of the Compliance and Ethics Team at Walmart Stores, Inc. As Senior Director of the Environmental Health & Safety Field Support Team, Ms. Ford led a group of environmental professionals who provided support and technical assistance to ensure that the Fortune One’s 300+ California facilities were in compliance with state and federal environmental laws.
COMPLIANCE & MANAGEMENT
- Developed strategy with Leadership and Team that improved average pass rates on monthly environmental audits: 7-point increase in average pass rate of California facilities during the last half of the fiscal year to reach the goal of 90%.
- 10-point increase in the average pass rate of facilities outside California over a two-year period; achieved compliance goals three consecutive years.
- Improved performance of Field Support Team as individual contributors and colleagues.
- Walmart’s representative on a joint Industry-Regulator legislative working group that reformed the hazardous material business plan reporting laws through passage of SB 483 (2013) and SB 1261 (2014).
- Developed “Compliance Recognition Awards” in furtherance of the Chief Compliance Officer’s mission to promote Walmart’s Culture of Compliance.
- Speaker, panelist and company representative before Walmart Operations and Compliance Leaders, state and federal regulators, and community groups.